Idol Unofficial
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review from ign.com

Go down

Review from ign.com Empty Review from ign.com

Post by Angie 1/8/2008, 11:04 pm

I came across this article in my Google alerts. I have to warn you it's not so nice, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I like to read good and bad and then agree or disagree, but that's just me. I can't comment either way on Jordin's CD as I have not purchased it or listened to any of the songs except 'Tattoo'. I may in the future check it out.

This is the full article, but it also can be found here

January 8, 2008 - To all those sites and radio DJs that conspire to make the worst possible singer win American Idol, you can give up. Winning America's favorite vocal competition has become its own penalty. There is a freedom to loosing on the show, rewarding you with the option to choose your own label and songs. Sure, the formula worked for Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, but they seem to have scraped the bottom of the pop barrel by the time Jordin Sparks came along. With the weak bubblegum pop fodder Sparks is saddled with on her disappointing debut, loosing the contest sure looks like the way to go.

There are times when overproducing an album can work in a singer's favor, but when the singer in question has just won a national singing competition it seems odd to tinker with the vocals so often. Sparks is not some actress-turned-singer in need of studio magic to turn in listenable vocals. Sadly, she has very little chance to shine throughout the album. Songs like the painful syth-fuelled "Shy Boy" and blippy gloss of "Young In Love" computerize her vocals in the midst of terrible stabs at dance floor hits, more likely to put your ass to sleep than make you shake it.

Lifeless numbers like sappy "Tattoo" and soulless "Freeze" make Sparks sound about as interesting as Paula Abdul's on-air commentary. Whoever told Sparks to sing out of breath to match the title of "No Air" needs to rethink their career. The gimmicky song is a duet with Chris Brown, where he sings circles around her and shows the difference between a real star and a manufactured one. Sparks may have stood a chance if all she had to overcome was an overbearing producer. Sadly, the songs themselves are badly in need of the sonic polish to keep you from chucking your iPod into heavy traffic.

Plucky harp and steady bumping beat drive "One Step At A Time" and its bland hook, "One step at a time / There's no need to rush / It's like learning to fly / Or falling in love". It is actually one of the better lyrical moments in an album full of clunkers. Piano-driven power pop tune "Now You Tell Me" trips all over itself with clumsy vocal phrasing and awkward lyrics, "Is there anything that can make you happy / I don't know what to say and make it better / Seeing you like this down and hurt so badly / When you have been so kept together". Distorted electric guitar strums deep in the background on the awful "God Loves Ugly", where Sparks imparts wisdom like, "God takes ugly, and turns it into something that is beautiful / Apparently I'm beautiful, because you love me".

Jordin Sparks might just be the worst major pop release of 2007. On the show, she had a decent, but unspectacular, voice. Sadly, her winning vocals and any semblance of a listenable song are missing. Somewhere, Blake Lewis is smiling.[b]
Angie
Angie
Webmaster
Webmaster

Number of posts : 2019
Fave Idol(s) : Cookie, Taylor, Brooke, Carly, Elliott, Castro
Fave Idol(s) : Carrie, Daughtry, & So Many More!
Registration date : 2007-12-28

http://www.brookes-bandwagon.com

Back to top Go down