Idol Unofficial
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08

4 posters

Go down

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 Empty Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08

Post by concertcris 3/19/2008, 9:32 am

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 754423 Hello! Tonight we celebrate another night of music from The Beatles. Sadly I found this part 2 of the event to be somewhat lackluster as the song choices were not so good in some cases. Ryan opens the show by saying that they brought the talent but we call the shots. Wrong Ryan as I would not have had a second night of Beatle music. Now for the actual difference between this week and last is part 1 was the songbook of Lennon and McCartney however this week is the actual music of The Beatles. Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 399449

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 498526 Okay after our welcome the contestants are brought on stage and of course we then are introduced to our judges with Randy in blue and yawning (is this a sign of things to come I ask), Paula looking great in her black glittery dress and of course Simon in his usual white shirt.

We then hear about the success of the Beatles who arrived on our shores in 1964. I so remember the night they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show and how great I thought they were. Obviously others of the 73 million who viewed the show also thought that as they had 5 songs on the Billboard charts after that airing. Another great event for them was selling out the 55,000 seat arena called Shea Stadium. These 4 lads were definitely a plus for our music scene. Some great music came from them but how I wish the contestants on tonight's show had picked some of their greats. Well, let's get started.

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 686681 Our rocker chick Amanda Overmeyer is up first and singing "Back In The U.S.S.R" from The White Album. She looks great in her jeans and vest but once again stays predictable with her vocals. Giving it a rocking bluesy vibe she shows great stage appearance. Randy thought she was pitchy in parts, Paula wants to hear her sing a ballad and even Simon says she needs to mix it up because she is so predictable. I am agreeing with this. Amanda however feels ballads are boring and I doubt she will be changing her tune which could put her in danger of leaving. However for tonight it was good. My grade: B

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 754998 Kristy Lee Cook is singing "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" off the Help album. She does not sound as bad as she has in the past but gives a very un-connected, un-emotional performance. Although she was very good on her final note I did notice some off notes here and there. A very wooden performance overall. Randy called it boring, Paula thought it was a safe choice but Simon flat out tells her she is not a good performer and this is so true. My grade: C

I love you Be still my heart as our David Archuleta redeems himself from last week's mess. He is singing "The Long and Winding Road" from the Let It Be album and I personally loved every second of it. When this kid is on his best game he is indeed a great singer and he showed that greatness on this performance. Randy thought he brought back the hotness, Paula really liked it and even sourpuss Simon thought he was amazing and clapped for him. Great job David! My grade: A+

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 75579 Michael Johns is taking on the difficult task of choosing a song that lasts 5 or 6 minutes and cramming it into one and a half minutes. The song is called "A Day In The Life" from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. He starts off pretty good to my ears but blows the first high note and from then on it becomes the mess that Simon calls it. Even Randy and Paula were not impressed. It was a nice idea dedicating this to his departed friend but overall it was just not very good. My grade: C

confused Our next singer is Brooke White who reminded me of a rag doll with her messed-up hair and yellow dress. She is singing "Here Comes The Sun" hence the yellow dress from the Abbey Road album. Starting off nicely as she sits on the steps, she then rises does a twirl with a high note and it becomes an awkward mess from then on. This girl is not graceful at all and realizes this as she mentions it during the critiques. Randy felt she never connected with the song, Paula thought it could have been better and our Simon called it terrible. I doubt she is in danger but this was indeed not good. My grade: C

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 613758 David Cook is doing "Day Tripper" off the Rubber Soul album and it starts out great to my way of thinking. Good vocals and loved how he played the guitar. Then he adds what is called a voice box to the mix and ruined the performance for me. Randy did not think it was his best, Paula liked it but Simon did not and thinks he may have lost his element of surprise. Except for that small moment using the voice box, I thought he was quite good. My grade: B+

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 270877 Our next performer definitely chose the wrong song in my opinion. It is Carly Smithson singing "Blackbird" again from The White Album. Her red top is ugly and reminds me of a baby-doll pajama top and although she gave a good vocal, the song was lackluster. Going into her big notes I thought she sounded sharp. Both Randy and Paula gave her high praise with Simon saying he did not like it. Overall, she sounded good vocally but have to agree with Simon that I did not like the song at all. My grade: B

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 51514 Jason Castro is also much like Amanda as he is also so predictable with his singing. Tonight he is doing "Michelle" from the Rubber Soul album. I felt like I was watching a robot perform this number as he was not feeling the lyrics at all. Our charming Jason as Simon calls him only sells this song because of his smile and charm but Randy is not feeling it and Paula calls it a sing-song like a polka. I personally thought he was the worst of the night. My grade: C-

Smile In a very heartfelt way, Syesha Mercado does "Yesterday" off the Help album. She looks beautiful and does nicely with the song although I heard a off-note here and there. Randy thought it was a good performance, Paula calls it a beautiful job and even Simon thinks it is her best performance so far. I thought it was good overall. My grade: B

Wink Chikezie Eze needs to be credited with trying something new although it was a little off-kilter. He is singing "I've Just Seen A Face" also from the Help album and I must say I do not remember this song at all. Starting it off as a ballad, he then plays the harmonica and turns it into a bluegrass number. Randy was just okay with it, Paula liked it but Simon did not care for the harp or the bluegrass vibe. It was sort of weird but overall I liked it. My grade: B+

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 911308 Ramiele Malubay is our last performer and singing my top favorite song from The Beatles called "I Should Have Known Better" from Hard Days Night. She looks adorable, finally shows some personality on stage but the vocals were too bubble-gum pop I thought. Randy liked it as did Paula but Simon thought the track was terrible. In my opinion is was just okay I guess. My grade: C

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 49837 I was not blown away by any of the performers with the exception of David Archuleta and am so glad that this theme is coming to an end. Tomorrow on the results show, Kellie Pickler is the guest which should please the country folks.

Several are in my bottom group which include Michael, Kristy, Brooke, Jason and Ramiele. Who's leaving, well hopefully it is Kristy but have to consider that Ramiele might also be in trouble.

I am wondering what you think so please let me know. Until then take care my friends.

concertcris
Hollywood Week
Hollywood Week

Number of posts : 218
Fave Idol(s) : Taylor Hicks, Elliott Yamin, Clay Aiken, Bo Bice
Fave Idol(s) : Melinda Doolittle, Lakisha Jones, Diana DeGarmo
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down

Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08 Empty Re: Top 11 Perform - 3/18/08

Post by Angie 3/19/2008, 1:00 pm

You know I missed half of Syesha's performance and all of Chikezie and Ramiele's....on the phone Sad

I really, really think this was a bad idea to do Beatles songs for another week in a row. Overall what I did see was boring. I'm never impressed with David A. I'm not quite sure why, it may be the age thing...that I just can't get into someone under the age of 21 Laughing

David C. I thought did great as you thought until that voice box thingy. I think it totally ruined the performance for me.

So...don't have many comments on last night until I rewatch the performances. But, Brooke is my favorite of the contestants, although I do like many, but I did not think it was great. I can tell she felt uncomfortable just standing there singing. I just laughed at the WOOO and just thought she is just a great person with all the chatter after her performance. So, I guess I liked the talking more Laughing

I can't wait to find out what next weeks theme is as I'm sure it will be a lot more exciting than this week.

Oh...Michael totally picked the wrong song as I believe that song should not be shortened at all. JMO I personally think his days are numbered.

I really hope Kristy goes home. I missed the very beginning of her performance and what I did hear was just bad. Most of the notes to my ears were off.

Amanda....I'm liking her less and less as the weeks pass and agree with Simon, she's predictable and is starting to actually get boring.

Again....boring evening for me. I do think that the ones that didn't shine last week (Syesha & Archuleta) shined this week. Although I dont like either of them much anyway.

I'll come back after I watch the ones I missed and let ya know....I really enjoy your reviews. Thanks Very Happy
Angie
Angie
Webmaster
Webmaster

Number of posts : 2019
Fave Idol(s) : Cookie, Taylor, Brooke, Carly, Elliott, Castro
Fave Idol(s) : Carrie, Daughtry, & So Many More!
Registration date : 2007-12-28

http://www.brookes-bandwagon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by geewindu 3/19/2008, 4:48 pm

Well I'll start by saying this has overall been the worst night this season so far. I didn't agree with doing the Beatles again and I was right this night was pretty dang bad.

Amanda Overmeyer was not very good and I agree that she is getting boring doing the same type of thing every week. She'll be safe but I'm not so sure for future weeks.

Kristy Lee Cook I thought had her best performance so far and was actually better than Archuleta as he just bored me. Much better than previously and one of the better ones of the night but in danger of going home as a lot of people just don't get her.

David A was absolutely boring to me I actually caught my self yawning during his performance. I think the vocals were good, not his best but much better than last week. He'll be safe for many weeks to come even if he totally messes up his lyrics again in future weeks.

Michael Johns is in my bottom 3 with Ramiele and Carly. Honestly I haven't liked Carly except slightly one week so I hope she goes but I doubt it. Michael started off okay and then went south. It was a disaster like Archuleta's last week. He doesn't have as many fans as Archie so we'll see if he can survive.

Brooke was good vocally as usual it wasn't her best as that would be "Let It Be" and as she said how can you do a Beatles song after that? Not her best but definitely the best of the night with Jason Castro a close second. Are we watching different shows? My dad is a big Overmyer fan and thought that Brooke had a good shot of winning as he thought she was the only one any good tonight and consistantly. I did not expect that from him.

David Cook was also pretty bad. That voice box was very weird in his performance and overall not as good as last week again. He'll be safe.

Carly was the worst of the night. It was somehow worse than Michael's disaster of a song. I really don't get how the judges liked her. It was terrible.

Jason Castro does really well compared to the previously mentioned contestant. It wasn't his best, yet like Brooke was one of the better performances in this awful night.

Syesha has very good vocals but like Archie bored me. She shouldn't be in the bottom 3 but probably will as she is still forgettable.

Chikezie was pretty good at performing his song but his vocals weren't all that good. Not as good as last week again. Has a shot at leaving.

Ramiele finally does a fast song and it was pretty bad news though I liked that harmonica in the back. She needed to have good vocals if she was to pull that off as she just isn't entertaining as some of the other contestants.

Overall this night was stinky. I think the only ones that were better than last week were David A, Syesha, and Kristy, but that doesn't mean they were good.

My top 3 of the night: Brooke, Castro, and Kristy
My bottom 3: Carly, Michael, and Ramiele
Who's going? Ramiele (though Kristy and Syesha have a good shot at leaving too)

This has been the hardest night to predict who's going as several were bad.
geewindu
geewindu
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 347
Fave Idol(s) : Taylor Hicks, Carrie Underwood, Melinda Doolittle, Kellie Pickler, Anwar Robinson, Elliot Yamin,
Fave Idol(s) : & Jordin Sparks, Blake Lewis, Amanda Overmeyer, David Cook & My fave artist ever... Brooke White!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie 3/19/2008, 5:54 pm

You know how much I just totally love Archie right Rolling Eyes so do you know what I did during his performance? I actually counted how many times the boy licked his lips while he was singing Laughing Can you tell I was bored?

I didn't think Brooke was great, but her and Jason I love you I loved watching him sing that. He did so well. He's so goofy and silly that he's drawing me in. He's always been one of my favorites though. But, even though I didn't think Brooke was that great she sure did a hell of a lot better than most of those people.

Please Idol.....NO MORE BEATLES> I love them but two weeks showed to be a disaster as everyone (most everyone) brought it last week. So boring last night.

On the other hand I"m all happy Pickler is going to be on tonight and that we get another cheesy group song with even more Beatles music and another Ford commercial Rolling Eyes

I think most everyone is safe except Kristy (even though I haven't liked her at all in the Top 24 I absolutely loved her audition) Ramiele and possibly Syesha as she's boring IMO too.
Angie
Angie
Webmaster
Webmaster

Number of posts : 2019
Fave Idol(s) : Cookie, Taylor, Brooke, Carly, Elliott, Castro
Fave Idol(s) : Carrie, Daughtry, & So Many More!
Registration date : 2007-12-28

http://www.brookes-bandwagon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by killerqueen 3/19/2008, 11:17 pm

I love the Beatles but I'm glad it's over. Some of them totally butchered the songs. Chikezie did the best last week and I liked him this week but Jason Castro gave him a run for his money. I think it was time for Amanda to go. Her monotonous screeching outlasted better singers and performers who went too soon. I liked her but she had no flexablity and no versatility as a performer.
that's all I have to say about that.

killerqueen

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down