Idol Unofficial
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ominous signs for 'American Idol'

2 posters

Go down

Ominous signs for 'American Idol' Empty Ominous signs for 'American Idol'

Post by Angie 4/21/2008, 4:00 pm

MAYBE it's not as shocking as, say, Aussie heartthrob Michael Johns getting voted off the show.

But the news still surprises: "American Idol's" ratings are down. Way down, among some viewers.

Could it be that the singing smash, which has entirely reshaped television over the past seven seasons, is finally proving mortal? And if so, what will that mean for Fox, the rest of the TV industry and Ryan Seacrest's career?

Some of the above are worth contemplating.

At first glance, the erosion doesn't seem so bad. "Idol" has slipped 7% in average total viewers (to 29.2 million, as of last week) compared with last season, according to figures from Nielsen Media Research.

"This show has defied the odds," Fox scheduling chief Preston Beckman told me Friday. " 'American Idol' has held up better than any other show, scripted or unscripted, on television."

Read the rest here.
Angie
Angie
Webmaster
Webmaster

Number of posts : 2019
Fave Idol(s) : Cookie, Taylor, Brooke, Carly, Elliott, Castro
Fave Idol(s) : Carrie, Daughtry, & So Many More!
Registration date : 2007-12-28

http://www.brookes-bandwagon.com

Back to top Go down

Ominous signs for 'American Idol' Empty Re: Ominous signs for 'American Idol'

Post by concertcris 4/22/2008, 8:09 am

Wink I am hearing alot about the decline of Idol however I still feel they have quite a huge audience left. One of the problems I think is because Season 5 was so diversified with it's talent that others seem to not measure up. Season 6 was a big disappointment to many although for me I liked several on that season and will be buying their music. I currently own Blake's cd but also plan on getting Phil Stacey's and when they are released want the music of Chris Sligh, Melinda Doolittle and Lakisha Jones. The others from that season really never interested me that much. Jordin is a good singer but I was disappointed with her cd so did not get it. Right now I feel her popularity has increased with this latest duet with Chris Brown only because he is popular.

As for this season I actually like several and see many doing quite well with their careers. While I appreciate the works of the mentors I am finding that none of them have brought the excitement I felt watching Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart and Bon Jovi mentor the contestants. I know they wanted to bring the focus more on the contestants this year but this might have been a mistake because not all of them are that interesting plus many have stopped watching I think because of the past unfairness that the judges and the producers have shown to other contestants.

I am reading on many sites that lots of people really feel no connection to this year's group which is a shame and of course are not voting. However that being said I highly doubt that this show will go down the tubes so to speak. One reason is because of the judges contracts which are not finished until 2010 I think. Then yes, maybe it will be gone then. In the meantime I am happy to be "addicted" as I truly like so many that have gained success from the exposure of this show.

Very Happy

concertcris
Hollywood Week
Hollywood Week

Number of posts : 218
Fave Idol(s) : Taylor Hicks, Elliott Yamin, Clay Aiken, Bo Bice
Fave Idol(s) : Melinda Doolittle, Lakisha Jones, Diana DeGarmo
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down